By popular demand


I finally got my build of a Populist 60mm cardboard pinhole camera ready to shoot. The Populist is a design made by Nick Dvoracek, it comes in many different dimensions and the plans are freely uploadable on his website. I also made the pinhole myself for this camera, and with helpful advice from Nick I measured it on my flatbed scanner to be about 0.31 mm, which is just about optimal for this camera.

The first picture is of a water fountain at a local Helsinki community garden, Syötävä Puisto (Edible Garden). I measured the exposures with an Android app on my phone, called Light Meter. It seems to work very well.


I still struggle a bit with framing the pictures, the 60 mm focal length isn't quite the "super wide angle" that you usually associate with pinhole cameras.


This one from Herttoniemi harbor could have been framed a bit further back as well.


The next two shots were taken on midsummer night. It's been nice and warm here in Helsinki this year, as often mid-June can be quite unpredictable here weatherwise.



A classic tree trunk close-up.


Midsummer madness.


And our dog Moti taking a nap at the balcony.

Comments

  1. Those look pretty good. I'm always relieved to see that a camera is really lightproof.

    That pinhole looks great.

    Compared to a 35mm camera, it's the same angle of view as 35mm which historically was considered pretty wide angle, but as you note, that's pretty long for a pinhole camera.  I've been using a 200mm 6x6cm camera recently, about a 135mm 35mm equivalent.  It seems to me there's no need to limit yourself to ultra wide angle.

    I hope you have fun with the camera.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Matchbox pinhole camera and the meaning of life

RealitySoSubtle 6x6