Antigraphy

Antigraphy. Something born out of my personal need for freedom amidst this barrage of empty digital imagery. The memory of myself as a little kid, drawing stuff on cheap paper just for the fun of it. Comparing that with the adult me, neurotic with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and sure that if only I could get that new 5000€ lens, I would be making the perfect images and then I would be happy.



What is happiness, creativity, art or life, for that matter?  I would be stupid to say I had answers to any of those questions, and the way my life has been developing, I can only cross out stuff that doesn't work; I have a pretty good idea on a lot of that stuff because believe me, I've tried.




It's not about money, capitalism, perfectionism, competitiveness, selfishness... in short it's not about the "I" but it's about connectedness, openness, sharing, just-being, empathy... this is how far I've gotten in 43 years of living, I know it's not complete but I hope there's still some way to go. But understanding things intellectually is one thing and feeling and living them out is quite another, as I too often lament to my therapist...




So this Antigraphy-thing is my vessel for growth. Photography as a Way. A Way out of the shit and in to the light.






Shoot film. Shoot cardboard cameras. Shoot old, broken-down cameras. Don't buy anything if you can avoid it. Build stuff yourself. Learn old-school darkroom processes. Look, see, feel, dream. Try and learn to enjoy your one and only life.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matchbox pinhole camera and the meaning of life

By popular demand

RealitySoSubtle 6x6